[TenTec] Problems with ORION II ??

Dick Williams k8ztt at mho.com
Sat Dec 27 17:52:24 EST 2008

Greg,

There is nothing "wrong" with the radio.  There are features that could be
improved upon, and that is what all the "bitching and moaning" is about.
One is the NB,  there are certainly radios that have better noise blankers.
Another is the sweep "scope";  it works, but it could certainly be better.
However, that is in the catagory of "bells and whistles" to me.

I am sure that you will find the radio very capable and will be very pleased
with the way it works.   No matter what radio one has, there are always
individuals that are not happy with the way it is (some justified and some
maybe not).   But not every "feature" is wanted, needed, or cared about by
all users;  so the "crappy" sweep is not an issue with everyone (personally,
I fall into the "it works fine for the little I use it).  On the other hand,
I wish the NB worked better; and hopefully Ten Tec addresses that in the
forthcoming update that will be released towards the end of the milinium.

Have fun with it; and by the way, there is a lot of "learning" that needs to
be done, in order to take advantage of the many features (for instance
setting the AGC correctly for the given conditions).

Dick  K8ZTT