[TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

Fri Feb 1 22:56:53 EST 2008

I've been reading this thread with interest.    There's a couple of things
that I'd like to point out.

First, there is clearly the need to run to audio gain at a level for
comfortable listening.  However, running the gain "wide open" or at a very
high setting does leave one exposed to likely ear damage, headphone damage
or speaker damage in the event of some accidental feedback condition that
might develop. Be careful, headphones are about the most dangerous device
one can place over or in our ears.

As to RF gain, keep in mind that the A-D and D-A processing clearly has a
limit as to the dynamic range it can accurately handle.  Exceed this range
and the system will produce all sorts of rude sounds and results.  Now to
keep the A-D and D-A systems within their correct signal handling range
there is an internal AGC function that is not user accessible.  At the same
time in order to maintain the highest S/N ratio for reception, some type of
gain control system is required, thus enter the user AGC system.  That
system too has its limits of input dynamic range vs. output dynamic range.
Now to operate within that range comes the "human interface" thus the
dreaded manual RF Gain control.

The noise floor of these radios is extremely low.  Clearly many dB below the
atmospheric noise and antenna thermal noise.  This is necessary to "hear the
weak ones".  At the same time the gain of the radio, input to output is
quite high.  Again needed to hear the weak ones.  Typically I find that
after setting the AF gain at a modest level, it is then quite easy to find a
RF gain setting for the band conditions and signals present.  I really find
that I don't have to "ride the RF Gain" when tuning the bands.  The internal
AGC systems handle the signals quite well.  Changing bands or antennas
systems or even sometimes beam heading changes the noise floor and thus some
minor RF gain adjustment is needed.

Perhaps we are not being clear in out terminology between AVC and AGC.  In
case you thought so, they aren't the same.   Today's digital radios don't
have AVC systems so don't expect the AGC system to do what a AVC system
does.

I'm still not convinced that the PRE AMP on condition is really needed for
most HF operation as it provides some 6 to 24 dB of gain.  In most cases on
HF, again atmospheric noise will be the weak signal limiting factor.  There
are certain exceptions that apply.  However, adding gain via the PRE AMP
will raise the signal and will also raise the noise thus reducing the
dynamic range that can be handled by the receiver AGC systems.  In my case
the use of a PRE AMP is one that is mounted at the antenna and its purpose
it to make up for the signal loss in the feedline between the antenna and
the receiver thus maintaining or improving the NF of the receiver.  I
believe we must get away from the thinking that more gain will allow us to
hear weaker signals.  Actually it is more gain and less noise that
accomplishes this task.  Thus, reduction in RF Gain is the objective.

73
Bob, K4TAX