[TenTec] Digital (PSK31) Communications

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Sat Feb 2 20:58:18 EST 2008

I am always amazed at how effectively very weak PSK transmissions are
decoded by the software.  I attribute this in part to the very narrow signal
bandwidth, which as you all know, concentrates the power into a narrow slice
of spectrum.  This is inherently effective, and since PSK31 is very narrow,
it is nearly as effective in this way as CW.  Not quite.

The other part comes from the software and filters.  A narrow mode like this
allows you to use very effective filtering, especially with the software.
And then, the noise reduction algorithms can be very effective.

Bottom like ?  Reduce power.  Be amazed  :)   ((And better antennas are of
course better than more power any day))

73 de Gary, AA2IZ