[TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability related question

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 22:28:34 EST 2008

K4DLI told me about a headphone amp he uses with his Orion II.  It is a
Ramsey kit which sells for $29.  I bought one and found that for me, as with
K4DLI, it allows me to run the Orion volume controls no higher than about
50%.  Prior to this Jim (K4DLI) and I had been running the Orion AF gain
high and the RF gain low, but we both had noticed that the Orion AF control
seems to give out of gas about 80% to max and the audio did not seem as
clean as at lower settings.  Anyway, I now leave the Ramsey amp in the
headphone line at a low level all the time.  The overall audio sounds much
cleaner to me.

73
Bob W2WG