[TenTec] Omni V Maximum voltage

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Tue Feb 5 03:38:12 EST 2008

Stuart Rohre writes...

> I would caution the poster to then, definitely NOT use the 15 volt
> power supply if it is unregulated without some precautions or
> additions.

If the power supply is reasonably stable under 20 amps of load, what
about using a forward-biased rectifier to drop the voltage? For
example, I see a Fairchild FFH50US60S diode which is rated for 50 amps
continuous forward current, 200 watts of power dissipation, and will
drop the voltage about a volt at 20 amps. That should get the output
power within the safe range on an Omni V, or any other radio intended
for mobile use. My alternators routinely put out 14.5 to 15 volts on
startup, and my radios don't seem to mind, though I've never run my V
from an alternator. An alternator may put out anything from 13 to 15
volts in normal service, by my observation.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd at iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757