[TenTec] ORION II the right rig for SSB ?

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Tue Feb 5 13:20:12 EST 2008

Ben (ON5GQ) said:
"In the archives of this reflector and reviews on Eham I found also negative
comments regarding the average SSB power output of the Orion II."

Ben, like many other recent DSP based rigs, the Orion/Orion II V2 code has been
 "work in progress" for some time. There was a point in the firmware releases where,
 in my opinion, the V2 speech processing was not great. However, that has been fixed
and I now believe that the current V2 speech processing is among the best I have
ever seen.
See post http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TenTec/2007-05/msg00478.html

The Orion/Orion II V2 speech processing algorithm delivers 15-20dB of compression with
solid high quality speech. I think it represents a real advantage for SSB contesters
or DX'ers.
73, Merle - W0EWM