[TenTec] ORION II the right rig for SSB ?

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Wed Feb 6 09:29:26 EST 2008

Mike (w2AJI) said:
" Even with the compressor set at 7, the O2 will produce about
20 to 25 watts average output at 70 watts PEP"
"The audio in the O2, even with the compressor set at 7 is very good, and very
strong. "

I think we all have certainly answered the original question about
whether or not the Orion/Orion II is a good SSB radio - absolutely
YES! And while not wanting to beat a "dead horse," I do think it
is worth a little more data and a couple of comments. My previous post
 http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TenTec/2007-05/msg00478.html

presented this data:
Proc Setting     Audio Result   AVG  RF Power

Off              Slight Expansion         ~8W
1 - 4     Close to no Compression   ~9-10W
5               ~5dB Compression       ~12W
6              5-10dB Compression     ~13W
7              ~10dB Compression      ~16W
8             10-15dB Compression    ~20W
9             15-20dB Compression    ~26W

I tested the V1.373b5 code and got the following results:
Proc Setting         Audio Result     AVG RF Power

Off                   Slight Expansion               ~8W
1 - 4          Close to no Compression         ~9-10W
5                   ~5dB Compression              ~12W
6                  5-10dB Compression            ~14W
7                   ~10dB Compression            ~17W
8                  10-15dB Compression          ~24W
9                  15-20dB Compression          ~31W

In all cases the peak power stayed very close to 39W - which
is what I use to drive my Alpha 87A to 1500W peak output.
Just a couple of comments about the data(See the reference link for
explanation of the set setup and the test audio pattern). "7" is
definitely not "the end" in terms of "usable compression" on the V1
or V2 Orion code. An SP setting of "9" produces very good
quality audio and generates nearly an additional 3dB of
average output power - significant. Because the human voice,
depending on the individual and on the words (Sounds) spoken,
normally has a 15 to 20dB dynamic range, it's very hard to
use more then that amount of compression without creating
severe distortion.

In both tests above, the "peak power out" was
set to 39W (required to drive Alpha 87A to 1500W Peak).
The V2, at SP= 9, resulted in an average power that was 1.7dB
below the peak - you can't do much more then that (The V1
code, SP=9 resulted in an average power that was about 1 dB
below the peak power out). Both with very good quality audio.

Finally, another radio amateur used a similar test setup
to mine, with an Orion II, and reported virtually identical
results as mine on the Yahoo 565 reflector.
73, Merle - W0EWM