[TenTec] Audio Issues, revisited

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Mon Feb 11 10:33:17 EST 2008

A while back I posted a question about audio distortion in my Heil
headphones when connected to my Omni V. I received several responses
but haven't had much of a chance to dig into it further.

And in response to another thread, I bought a small headphone
distribution amplifier. That gives me a way to boost the audio to my
headphones without cranking up the Omni V's audio output too much.
That allowed me to understand what I'm hearing a lot more clearly, and
maybe that could lead to different advice than what I received
earlier.

When I turn the AF knob higher than 9 o'clock, I hear audio overload
and clipping/distortion. At setting lower than that point, the audio
quality is excellent, but the signal is quite low in my headphones.
Thus, I am now boosting the audio with an external headphone amp. When
I'm working elsewhere in the shack and am using the speaker, the audio
level is still too low at the point where it starts to break up, but
then I don't really expect booming audio from a 3" speaker. I have an
external amplified speaker that I can use.

But the external amplification seems like a workaround.

Is this behavior normal with the V? If not, where should I look first?

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.              |
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd at iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757