[TenTec] Better Bulb Life in TenTec 229, 238 Tuners

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Feb 13 20:10:39 EST 2008

I do several things to make these bulbs last longer and get more
brightness from lower current (long life) bulbs. First, I put white
tape on the inner black panel below the dial and around the bulbs
(all the black paint that isn't visible through the glass) to better
reflect the light up to the tuning dial. That improves brightness.
Second, I use 756 bulbs, which draw only 80 mA at 14V and are rated
15K hours. (The "standard" 1815 bulb draws about 300 mA and is rated
only 3K hours.) Third, to further improve life, I run them at
slightly lower voltage by adding one or two forward-biased 1A diodes
in series with the DC feed from the RCA connector.

If you don't have 756 bulbs, you can still add multiple diodes in
series with the standard 1815 bulbs. That will also reduce brightness
a bit, and improve life quite a bit.

FWIW -- I've tried multiple LED's in each opening with series R to
limit current in one 229 tuner. LED's last OK, but I have not been
happy with the result visually.

73,

Jim K9YC