[TenTec] Inrad roofing filter mod for Omni VI+

Andrew Moore andrew.nv1b at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:48:48 EST 2008

> As almost everyone knows Inrad makes a roofing filter kit for the Omni family of radios. A friend of mine in California, who has 2 Omni VI+, swears the mod provides a substantial increase in dynamic range. He says it is just great in crowded contests when copying weak signals amongst the very strong signals. Here's my question:
>
> I have the optional Ten Tec 250 and 500Hz first IF CW filters. The Inrad CW roofing filter mod is available with the #763 normal pitch filter (750Hz), or #765 low pitch filter (500Hz). I prefer listening to CW at 500Hz vs. 750Hz. Will the low pitch filter work in conjunction with the standard Ten Tec CW filters?

I recently acquired a VI+ with InRad 765, along with 500 and 250 Hz
filters in both IF's.  I have to admit I haven't figured out how to
use the setup well enough to see the big advantage with the InRad, but
I also admit I'm not a contester and rarely find myself trying to pull
weak signals from crowded bands with strong adjacent signals, and I
guess this is where the InRad can really shine.

I'd love to hear more discussion about how to utilize this filter.
I'm still trying to get used to my "new" VI+.

Tom - you might check with the guy from whom I bought my VI+ setup.
He's very familiar with its operation especially in conjunction with
the InRad filter, specifically the lower pitch one I believe.

I will email you his address off list.