[TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Feb 19 16:13:50 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 15:16 -0500, W4ABW at aol.com wrote:
> I know this is OT for TT but I have had an Alpha 89 shelved for 3-4 years.
> My thoughts is that it will power up in first class fashion the first time I
> try  it but.....anyone else left an Alpha off for this long or longer ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Al, W4ABW

What I said about the Titan applies to all power amplifiers using tubes
and electrolytic filter capacitor stacks. When VOA warehoused Collins
transmitters, the electrolytic makers wanted us to reform the capacitor
after two or three years of storage. They only guaranteed them for two
years of storage. I know field service prepared to reform all the
electrolytics in the low voltage supplies (under 600 volts). The higher
voltage supplies (up to 14 KV) used oil filled capacitors with far
better aging characteristics. Its possible the Alpha uses oil capacitors
for the high voltage, but the tube seals will still leak and a day of
cooking on filament power alone will preserve the tubes.

Electrolytics simply age faster with no voltage applied as the
electrolyte eats away at the insulating film on the aluminum foil.

73, Jerry, K0CQ