[TenTec] proper caps for Omni V?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed Feb 20 13:30:43 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 10:46 -0600, Steve Berg wrote:
> Would I be better off replacing the electrolytics with tantalum
> capacitors?  I would rather just do this once since I no longer have
> access to lab grade desoldering equipment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve WA9JML

I don't know. When I did that to a tube radio (SB-110A around the audio
output tube) the super quality of the tantalum capacitors caused VHF
parasitic oscillations. The high temperature, low esr electrolytics are
a pretty good capacitors and can degrade a lot more than the cheap
commodity miniature electrolytics and still be better than the cheap
capacitors were when new.

All it takes for removing capacitors is a decent soldering iron and a
supply of solderwick. That does work as handy as lab equipment, I think.

73, Jerry, K0CQ