[TenTec] Orion firmware gripes!

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 20:25:09 EST 2008

As is Barry, I am waiting for the Orion III which I figure could be targeted
for the next year or two.  I am pretty happy with my Orion 1 at the moment,
perhaps because it is one TenTec swapped me when after a couple of years we
could not resolve the flaky RIT problem.  This "new" Orion 1 seems to be
almost trouble free as compared to the terribly buggy first one I bought,
which seemed to have experienced just about every strange problem I could
imagine.  Anyway, despite limitations noted on this reflector for 1.373 and
the various V2 releases I am a pretty happy camper, especially when for some
reason I go back to my sentimental favorite, an FT1000MP, for a few days.
In a contest or on 160m there is no comparison between the two.

I have to compliment TenTec for working through the problems with me.  The
problems were very frustrating for me to deal with, and I am sure TenTec was
frustrated with dealing my recurring problems, but they stuck with me and
got them resolved.

On my list for the Orion III are the following:

1)Totally stable firmware of course
2)Thoroughly optimized gain distribution
3)AGC which is not adversely affected by lightning crashes or other QRN
"pops" (several on-line resources address this for digital AGC in sets other
than the Orion)
4) Left and right constant level line outputs which are not affected by how
the main and subreceiver are set up audio gain-wise.
5)An architecture so that the internal antenna tuner which can be used on
either antenna port
6) The availability as an option of ordering two "main" receivers instead of
a main and a sub.  The sub just can't handle sifting through a massive
pileup looking for that weak split signal.  Ad to that no subreceiver
"blowby" which appears to be a digital imaging problem as noted on this
reflector.
7) More audio gain built in (my Orion 1 comes close to full AF output at
about 75% of indicated full range)
8) The ability to select "Pod Controls VFO A" or "Pod Controls VFO B" from
the pod so there is no need to go into a menu to change this.
9) A careful look at the board soldering process.  The cause of the flaky
RIT problem which quite a few of us have encountered is unknown, but quite a
few of us are pretty sure it is a soldering problem of some sort of other.
The last time I talked to Paul he did not agree with this--but at least the
last time we talked he had not found the culprit either.  I know there are
other areas--such as on the power distribution board where Ten Tec resolders
target areas to clear SOME flaky display problems.  I have never seen a
joint that looked suspicious, but given the experience at least with the
Orion I, I think taking a look at how to do things better would be
warranted--or maybe an improved process is already in place for the Orion 2.
10) Concentration on improving the QSK.  I know there are limits in a DSP
machine--and various limits have been noticeable in the various releases of
the firmware--but somewhere around 30wpm the ability to hear between letters
starts to evaporate--and then there is the statement that external keyers
cannot be used above some lower limit which I forget.  My experience has
been that you can key externally at higher speeds but that the QSK backs off
to "listen between the words."  To me that is a limitation for an otherwise
superb CW machine.
11) A headphone output which won't blow the AF amp if you plug in a mono
headset--or if you mistakenly plug a key into the headphone jack.
12) Why would you plug a key into the headphone jack?  Because the black
embossing on a black cabinet is very hard to see in a low light situation.
Its good not to have white labeling which will rub off with use, but the
embossing needs to be made more visible.

Finally, a number of us have been waiting for that legal limit solid state
Elecraft amp which was shown at Dayton a number of years ago but which is
still not available.  I am convinced that tube amps are entering their swan
song days.  I notice things like the 4CX800 used in the very nice ACOM amp
being unavailable, the 3-500Z dwindling down to one reputable
manufacturer--who is farming it out, and the horribly escalating prices for
"real"  8877's and 3CX800's.  Those tubes will be around for a number of
years, but it looks as though their prices could soon  price them out of the
ham market.  It seems to me that TenTec has an opportunity to get ahead of
the wave and bring out a reliable state of the art solid state legal limit
amp for a lot less than the price of a top of the line autotune tube amp
(almost $10k--grab one before they go up).

I'd be interested in hearing what you want to see in the Orion III.

Bob W2WG