[TenTec] RX-320 sub-receiver test

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Mon Feb 25 20:57:14 EST 2008

Last night and today I had a chance to finally spend some time chasing
VP6DX. I worked them on 40 meters last night, and used the RX-320 to
receive them while listening to the pileup on their listening
frequency. With the Dunestar headphone mixer, I was able to hear the
320 in my left ear and the Omni V.9 in my right ear. Worked like a
champ, though there were some BC heterodynes I would have like to
notch out on the 320.

Today, though, I was listening to them on 15 meters, and the band was
nearly dead, with the DX station just above the noise floor (my
antenna is a G5RV which is slightly better than a dummy load on 15
meters). The 320 didn't quite have the sensitivity to pull the DX
station out of the noise floor. (I didn't really need it for these
bands because the pileups were pretty thin, but I was still curious.
Also, with the N4PY control software, doing so is even easier than
regular split operation.) But the Omni V read the weak signal easily.

So, working Ducie Island allowed me to enjoy the best of the setup but
also test it at its limits. It's great for relatively strong DX
stations and big pileups, but for weak signal work, the V really
shines.

Rick, KR9D