[TenTec] Centaur Power Cord

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Jan 4 23:37:49 EST 2008

Hi Mike,

The convention is that blue in a blue/green/brown cord corresponds to
white in white/green/black cord. And brown corresponds to black. Green
or green with a yellow stripe is ground. In a three wire 220 power cord
there is no neutral. There are two hot leads and a ground. NEUTRAL IS
NOT THE SAME AS GROUND, anywhere except in the main load center panel
(meter panel or circuit breaker panel) where they are connected.  Three
wire 220 circuits cannot have any 110 loads from one hot lead to
neutral, since there is not neutral wire, and no load of any kind should
ever be connected between a hot lead and ground. If a piece of equipment
fed by a three wire 220 circuit has a fan or other small 110 volt load
inside it, that load must be fed by a 220/110 stepdown transformer. A
four wire 220/110 circuit can supply both 220V and 110V, since it does
have a neutral AND a ground, which are two separate wires.

Again, just to be clear: NEUTRAL IS NOT THE SAME AS GROUND!!!

Make sure you understand this before you attempt any connection to any
AC power source of any voltage.

I'm sure you will get plenty of responses to this ground = neutral error
on the reflector. No doubt one of them will explain why GROUND IS NOT
THE SAME AS NEUTRAL. I'll explain it later if nobody else does.

DE N6KB