[TenTec] Orion Sweep vs External Panadaptor

Rick Williams ve7asr at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 13:45:48 EST 2008

I'm sorry to say but I have found my Orion (565) sweep
to be next to useless.  With the version 2 firmware
upgrade the rig doesn't crash with the sweep activated
but it isn't very useful.  Years ago I had a Heathkit
series 6xx external Panadapter scope that, in my
opinion, provided more useful information.

I was wondering if anyone on the list has taken the 9
MHz I.F. out to an external Panadapter?  Has it been
reasonably successful?  It looks like one could
re-route the 9 MHz I.F. output from board A4
(currently going to the SWEEP amp) to the SPARE jack
on the rear panel.

I am interested because N8LP (of the LP-100 wattmeter)
has developed the LP-Pan for the K-3.  It uses the
computer sound card.

http://www.telepostinc.com/K3pan.html

This device looks VERY interesting and the write-up
suggests other rig I.F.s could be incorporated in the
production model!  I'd appreciate thoughts of other
Orion (Pegasus, Jupiter, Argonaut V etc.) owners.

Thanks.

73,
Rick
VE7TK