[TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Mon Jan 28 23:22:01 EST 2008

I agree with Carl. Ironically, the problem you describe is well-known on the
original FT-1000MP. The AGC on that rig was too fast, even in the slow
position. INRAD supplied (and maybe still does) a mod to slow the AGC down.
I think it was a simple RC circuit to add more time delay. It worked, but
not well enough. Not being able to distinguish one signal from the other in
a contest pileup was my main beef with that rig, and eventually led to my
selling it in favor of an Orion I.

I'm virtually certain the culprit is the V2 firmware. I never had problems
picking out signals on my O-I until I installed V2. It was so shocking that
I had to revert to V1, where there was no problem copying signals in big
pileups. At the time, I didn't think to adjust the AGC parameters. In CQ WW
CW this year, I loaded V2 and played around a bit with hang time and decay.
I don't recall the settings I ended up with, but they pretty-much solved the
problem.

Unfortunately, there are some things V1 does better than V2, and vice-versa.

73, Dick WC1M