[TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

Wed Jan 30 09:58:37 EST 2008

Denny speaks the facts on the radio.  The radio does require a different
thinking method and user approach in order to attain the outstanding
performance abilities.  One thing that I find typical is simply the fact the
radio offers a host of user selectable parameters.  It is entirely possible
to set these parameters such that the performance is actually compromised
for the mode, band and signal conditions.  This is not the radio's fault.

A fast AGC on CW, specially the fast attack, release will do just as
described.  A slower release and less RF gain will make a difference.  Also,
I don't understand having the preamp on and then select some value of
attenuation and then have the RF gain at max.  Sure seems counterproductive.
With the new breed of  radios most require a significant amount of RF Gain
reduction.  Unless there is a transmitter operating within a few miles or
less of the receiver, the attenuator is not needed.  Set the audio gain to a
comfortable level for your headphones or speaker and use the RF gain such
that the signals will pop out of the noise and background.  As I said,
different thinking and methodology in operations.

Great performing radio.  Try it, you'll like it.

73
Bob, K4TAX