[TenTec] SWR VS Power Loss

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Jul 4 13:38:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:07 -0700, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> The definitive graphs are in the ARRL Handbook and ARRL Antenna
> Book. The ARRL Antenna Book comes with an excellent program that
> computes SWR for any load, then computes loss for that degree of
> mismatch for about two dozen different specific types of coax by
> brand and part number.
>
> You guys who are too cheap to buy good text books amaze me. You'll
> spend thousands of bucks on a rig, hundreds of bucks on a mic, carry
> on for weeks about stupid questions, and won't buy a great reference
> book that answer them!  At almost any hamfest or flea market, you'll
> find copies of these books for a fraction of their original price.
> They won't have the software, but they will have all the text.

Last month I bought a copy of the 2006 ARRL Handbook through Abe Books
for $8.32 before an Abe Books coupon. It included the software. They
don't become instantly obsolete when the next edition comes out (though
the library that had owned this copy must have thought so). They are not
like a phone book, obsolete when printed.

> Any ham who doesn't own (and hasn't studied) relevant sections of
> the ARRL Handbook is a fool.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

73, Jerry, K0CQ