[TenTec] OT: SWR & Coax

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Jul 7 12:54:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 08:35 +0000, Charles Harpole wrote:
> I cut the dipole according to the length chart in the book.
>
> I put it up as high as I can.
>
> I put RF into it... as much as the transmitter will put out.
>
> I enjoy ham radio.
>
> Thus, I do not try to understand SWR and everything
>
> related to it.

Sometimes a transmitter objects to the load presented this way and burns
up essential parts like PA transistors. So sometimes some attention to
SWR and its improvement are essential to the enjoyment of the operator.

> A Nobel physicist tried to define reactance
>
> to me and he admitted he could not put it into words.

Sometimes when one is immersed in technology to the extreme, one looses
the capability of explaining it to those without the same experience.

> Taking this "light and easy" approach I do is very
>
> fun and IT GETS ME ON THE AIR AND OFF THE
>
> INTERNET typing about arcane stuff.

It can be more fun making contacts than talking about making contacts,
even when a broken antenna system makes it difficult to make those
contacts.

> 73
>

> Charles Harpole
>

> k4vud at hotmail.com