[TenTec] OT: coax versus parallel wire, insulated wire for aerial

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 9 18:41:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:39:31 -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

>I don't see the benefit of choking the outside of the coax AT the radio.

See my tutorial for the discussion of chokes as "egg insulators" in feedlines
to minimize their interaction with nearby antennas (especially verticals).

>Look up the specifications of ferrite toroids at Amidon.

That's a TERRIBLE place to get specs or to buy them. Specs are next to
nothing, prices are very high. Go the source (Fair-Rite) for specs, to my
website for measured data on chokes, and to industrial distributors to buy
the parts.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC