[TenTec] re Centurion tubes

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 12:06:15 EDT 2008

I think this is getting a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
I have a Centurion and RF Parts 3-500ZG in two pairs.  RF parts
advises running the tubes with hot cathodes for several hours when
they are new, around ten hours I think, but that's mainly to form the
thoriated tungsten filament.  Whem I rotate pairs I leave the amp on
in standby all day before keying it and driving it.   The new pair
will have been on the shelf for a couple of years at that point.  The
B+ is there but it's not doing anything in standby, just waiting for
action.   Just put in the tubes, turn on the amp and don't do anything
else; let it sit there with the fan running and forget about it for
awhile.   If the tubes are really old i.e. have not been used for 20
years and you want to be extra careful, then you might consider
rigging up a socket in a stand with a fan and applying cathode voltage
only.

73

rob / k5uj