[TenTec] Solder and my Omni

Dell Ray ray_2098 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 17:50:00 EDT 2008

 Hello Group,,, I have a few questions to ask. I don't know If one at a time would have have been better.

I installed the inrad audio mod on my Omni VI opt 1. Big improvement in the audio quality. Before I did the upgrade the PBT was not very useful and the 1.8 filter was also not good for SSB. After the Install PBT was able to clean up audio and If I needed the 1.8 filter I could still make out SSB signals and PBT them. I had some hold up when installing the compnents. I wanted to use desolder braid but it was not pulling up the solder at all. I ended up pushing the two caps and 1 resister out with soldering Iron tip. It's not how I wanted to do it. I have used the braid before without a problem. Is the quality different of the solder that Ten Tec used? Is there a way to pick up the solder??

In the 9 MHZ IF I have the  216 RTTY filter installed. I enjoy CW on all bands and SSB on the higher bands, I was reading on filters and is it possible that by having the RTTY filter in the first IF I hurt my recieve on SSB or CW?? I don't and have never used RTTY. I bought my Omni in 93 new and had the filters included. I was going to pull the Rtty Filter but not sure of the Jumper called "Filter gain Select".  What function is it for? I can not find any reference for it.

  I almost sold my Omni and glad no one bought it. I was going to buy a 564 but I think I don't really need all the filters. Its been a great radio and never has been any trouble at all. I own a Kenwood but it sits in the off mode all the time. Just in case I need a backup radio. Hope I didn't take up to much bandwidth, HI HI

 KI7XD DN06,TT 563
 Prosser, Wa