[TenTec] Orion II A9 Board Failure...Again!

John K Gotwals john at gotwals.com
Wed Jun 25 13:26:25 EDT 2008

I purchased my Orion in August of 2005 from Ten-Tec. In March of 2007 smoke
came out of the Orion, and it was returned to the factory for repair. In the
invoice, Ten-Tec wrote "Replaced fried 10 volt regulator, resistors,
capacitor on logic board."

In July of 2007 the Orion would not power up, and it again was returned to
the factory. This time Ten-Tec wrote on the invoice "Replaced bad capacitors
on power distribution board." They also wrote "Checked with customer
regarding possible power supply problem."

It is now late June of 2008, and the Orion is working fine. My power supply
is an Astron RS-35A, which seems to be working normally. I should mention
that I use an Acom 1000 with my Orion, and before I made some major antenna
changes I did have a fair amount of rf in the shack.

John, N9JG