[TenTec] FD & O-II

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 29 21:31:51 EDT 2008

I took my O-II to FD and used it at the CW station. There were only
two of us, but the other guy (who has an IC746) loved the O-II. Once
i showed him how to set the AGC, he really liked it. For better or
worse, we heard lots of stations that we couldn't work.

The SSB station was using an IC-7000, and at 200 KHz spacing, the
phase noise completely wiped out the band. We could even hear that on
harmonically-related bands. It certainly wasn't overlaod, but real
pahse noise. I looked up the QST reviews and at these spacings, the
'7000 is typically 10-20 dB worse in tx phase noise than the O II.

They appeared to not have the same problem from us, so I assume that
the O II tx is quite a bit cleaner at those spacings the the '7000 tx.

Anyone ever had more that one Orion (or any stripe) at FD? If so, did
you have interference probelms?

73,

Kim Elmore N5OP