[TenTec] OT

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Mar 3 16:41:36 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:19 -0500, Carter wrote:
> John wrote:
> >  Here is a little tip we just learned. My son kc2iyg just bought a
> >  laptop computer used.  The computer was a good deal but it stunk to
> >  high heaven from tobacco smoke .  We took a chance , he first wiped
> >  the surface of the notebook down with a antibacterial wipe and then
> >  he dug out a small Ionizer .  He placed the Ionizer next to the
> >  notebook and covered both with a plastic tucker tote ( a med sized
> >  trash can of sorts ) and let it do it's thing for 4 hours .  Well he
> >  pulled the notebook out and to our surprise the smoke smell was
> >  almost completely gone !  I thought this might work with some radios
> >  we some times  pick up for a song and the previous owner was a smoker
>
> John and Mike,
> Thanks for the tip.

I have a 51J with a white panel. It came from the estate of a smoker. It
was brown. I found only something with lots of ammonia took the grunge
off the panel and knobs and I'm not sure how much of the knobs came off
too. I used an industrial ammonia based cleaner that I found at the
hardware store that worked. None of the household magic cleaners were
effective.

73, Jerry, K0CQ