[TenTec] Omni VI NB Mod

Arthur Trampler atrampler at att.net
Tue Mar 4 11:04:29 EST 2008

Hey All,

Over the weekend I replaced the two, 22K resistors on the NB board with 16K as recommended by some to be able to turn off the NB on my Option 3.  I was suffering from the "klix" effect, where it seemed so many stations I listened to, if they were at S9 + 10 or better, had bad klix.

I now have what sound like IMD artificats coming "out the wazoo."  There seems to be some abatement, at times, if I actually increase the N.B. level a bit.

Received CW signals are distorted and I am often picking hearing what sound like IMD-generated signals, even with no strong signals on the band.  Kicking on the 9mhz filters (which turns on the roofing filter) does kill these.

Has anybody else had an experience like this?

I was brain-dead and did not take a picture of the board before taking it out, figuring I would have labels on the various connectors to put them back in.  I noticed one difference in my board compared to the picture in the manual.  In the upper right there are two jacks to receive an RF connector.  I'm thinking one was labeled perhaps 34.  In the manual, there is only one jack.  I used the jack shown in the manual--could this be the problem?  I also did not see the single RF connector that runs toward the front of the transceiver labeled, but assumed it was to go in the jack on the left side of the board.  If someone thinks I goofed there, let me know.

Finally, I could not find 1/8 watt resistors that were 16K, so I used 5%, 1/2 watt.  Could the larger size/fact that they are not flush on the board be playing into this?  I tightened the board down pretty strongly, so I don't think that's the problem.

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks!
Art, KØRO