[TenTec] 238 Tuner Mod

pfizenmayer pfizenmayer at qwest.net
Tue Mar 4 16:37:33 EST 2008

Guess there must be 238's, 238A's  and 238B's - I have one I bought new
circa Feb 2005 called 238B SN 09C10104 where the padders on the Schematic
are shown as 2 each 220 pfd in parallel in each location.

The parts list says they are 180 pfd and my unit has 150 pfd. The variable
cap is shown as 40 - 500 pfd.  I suspect the reason they kept sneaking the
value of the paralleled caps lower and lower is that the stray inductance
and the little network inserted to tune out the residual SWR makes the
paralleled values look larger than the actual capacitance. And even at 150
pfd paralleled in each section I have many cases where for instance LOZ-1
will not quite match at max variable capacitance even on 80 meters and LOZ-2
is too much capacitance.(var cap at minimum is too much )  No huge deal as
the final SWR is less than 1.3 :1 but often thats as close as you can get.

Anyhow - I also suspect the paralleled caps instead of single caps helps the
"drift" substantially . I have never noticed any drift with the settings I
have to use with my dipoles at a kw. Usually in LOZ1 or 2.  On 160 the
configuration I have makes me have to add another  CM45 2000 pfd  externally
and using that I still notice no drift at a kw.

73 de Hank K7HP