[TenTec] OT

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Wed Mar 5 10:11:25 EST 2008

Ionizers send out ions which are charged particles. They are
attracted to tiny particles floating in the air be it dust, mite
dander, whatever. This particle is now larger and has more weight.
More ions are attracted and cling to this larger particle and the
particle is inclined to fall to ground thanks to gravity or attach
itself to a solid object.

Inhalation of such charged particles causes them to attach to lung
tissue with some micro trauma and cellular changes. Not good. The
same for the attachment to the skin; many of the same issues related
to smoking. You'll see walls and objects near to the ionizer become
darker and this is from the attachment the charged particles to the
wall.

Do a google search for "Free Radicals" and the information should be
of interest. A brief answer is
here:http://www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm

If you look at the newer Ionizers sold by Sharper Image you'll see an
attachment the older ones did not have and this I believe is supposed
to deal with the release of charged particles.

Be aware you can't avoid these ionized particles and they are 9or
were) commonly used by larger stores to process their air and give an
fresh & invigorating feel the customer perceives when walking into
the store. Electrostatic air filters create these particles.

Ozone production is greatly affected by the voltage oxygen encounters
and I do not recall the specifics but ionizers of the sort allowed
for sale be it from the Sharper Image or from your electrostatic air
filter; are maxed at something around 5KV and much more than this
rips the Oxygen molecule apart and creates the abundant Ozone that is
harmful.

There is a difference between a charged particle and Ozone. It's that
old drill; All charged particles are not Ozone but all Ozone are
charged particles.

Gary
Who was a lucky one to work VP6DX on 160, barefoot from CT with his
Omni V