[TenTec] T/R turnaround times for TT xcvrs??

Allan Taylor k7gt.cw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:03:30 EST 2008

Gentlefolk of the reflector:

I recently read the ARRL review of the Elecraft K3, finding it to have
splendid specs indeed. One spec, though, that I found a
bit high was the T/R turnaround time of 25 msec.

I have had and used TT rigs from the Triton IV, OmniD, OmniC, Corsair
I and II, OmniV, OmniVI, and Scout. It would be nice to
track how the T/R turnaround time has changed as these rigs have come
along. It feels like the most recent ones (VI) are a bit
slower than the earliest ones. The Scout, of course, needed a simple
mod to make its turnaround time acceptable.

Can the group point me to a source of this info or perhaps assist in
its compilation?

I am good to 40-45 wpm and love true QSK to that point and TT has
always been my gold standard. (CW above about 60 just sounds like
noise to me) Besides, its great fun to listen to your own backscatter
echo!!

I found the Elecraft K2 to be significantly slower than TT gear in T/R
turnaround time and full of nasty artifacts at that. They can
be smoothed out by upping the time but that in effect makes it semi-QSK!

Yes, I have a K3 on order...

Allan K7GT