[TenTec] OmniV and PSK31 -- any experience to be shared??

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sun Mar 16 10:54:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 07:25 -0700, Allan Taylor wrote:
> My backup Tentec rig is an OmniV. After my OmniVI returns from factory
> service and frees up the V, it (the OmniV)
> will be used for PSK31. I am absolutely inexperienced with PSK and
> would greatly appreciate shared experience and
> issues that may arise when using the V for PSK.   I will be adding the
> TT fan kit to allow running 'full out' in PSK.

First, you probably shouldn't run more that 30 or 40 watts on PSK31, so
you really don't need the fan.  You don't need power with PSK31.

I used an Omni V on PSK31 and (at least my Omni V) wasn't really
frequency stable enough until the rig had warmed up for an hour. While
most PSK31 software can adapt to the frequency drift, it's considered
bad practice to wander all over the band.

During the first hour, it would drift 10 Hz or so during the time I was
transmitting (maybe 1-2 minutes).  After an hour, the frequency was
pretty stable.

73,
Mark