[TenTec] Orion.....use of the 250 Hz filter....my results.....

fraz1 fraz1 at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 24 16:50:51 EDT 2008

I had read the info on the insertion loss and increased IMD when using the 250 Hz roofing filter.  As a result, I decided to go with the INRAD 600 Hz filter in the 1 KHz slot.

Last week,  I picked up a model 219 filter at a fair price.  My results have been quite favorable.  I have not noticed the insertion loss.  Switching between roofing filters on 9X0R's weak 80 and 160 signals showed me no difference in strength.  Using the 250 Hz filter did, however, result in less "noise", and therefore increased readability.  I can also see the benefit of increased selectivity when switching between the 600 and 250 Hz filters.  I have not experienced any increased IMD or apparent decrease in BDR.

No measured technical data to support my findings.  Simply a single operators opinion and experience.  If you have been holding off because you read what I read, you may want to try one.  They're going used for 50-60 bucks.

YMMV............73 John K4NP