[TenTec] Argonaut II Backlight Replacement

Steve Berg wa9jml at tbc.net
Sat Mar 29 11:47:15 EDT 2008

A while back I bought two of the All Electronics surplus
electroluminescent display backlights.  I replace the dead one in the
radio by cutting the new one to size.  It lasted about a year and quit
working this week.  I have not had the chance to check the voltage to it
yet, but suspect that the backlight went out again.  Since I am down to
my last replacement, are there any other sources of these strips?  And,
is there a problem with just cutting the strip to size with a sharp pair
of scissors?  Should I spray the edges with something like clear Krylon
to seal them?  I thought these things were supposed to last for many
years, and that does not seem to be the case.  The OEM light lasted for
quite a few years of heavy operation.  Help?

Steve WA9JML