[TenTec] Omni VII

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 1 22:09:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:46:37 -0500, Wayne Whitman wrote:

>A number of you have now convinced me that not having the second rx on
>the Omni VII is not a big deal

It all depends on what you do (or want to do) with your new rig. I use
an FT1000MP (and have ordered a K3 with dual RX for its superior phase
noise performance). The MP has two RX, and I use the second one all the
time. In the morning, I'll CQ on 160 and listen to my TX frequency in my
left ear, while I'm tuning the band with the second RX in my right ear.
That allows me to CQ nearly non-stop, but also hear other guys who may
be CQing. That's REALLY important -- when 160 opens, it tends to be good
for only a fraction of an hour on long paths.

I also use the 2nd RX when working a DX pileup that's split. I listen to
the DX in my left ear, and use the 2nd RX in my right ear to pick the
spot where I want to call the DX. This is also VERY useful -- I've
worked a lot of DX a lot sooner this way.

And during contests, I use the 2nd RX to look for guys calling CQ while
I'm calling CQ. That way, I find rare mults while still working guys
calling me .

Wayne at Elecraft said during his presentation at Visalia last weekend
that they expect to start shipping 2nd RX in a few months. In the
meantime, they're shipping the radio without the 2nd RX and will ship
the 2nd RX when it's available.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC