[TenTec] Measuring High Impedances

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat May 10 21:11:47 EDT 2008

Jerry,

If you haven't already done so, have a look at the measurement
issues that I've raised in the Power Point file below.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

Then take a look at

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Toroid61Data-2.pdf

Virtually any reflection-based measurement (i.e., S11) will
give you VERY wrong answers for those chokes wound on #61 (and
also for the higher frequency coax chokes on #31 cores). It IS
practical to get good data using S21 (i.e., as the series
element of a voltage divider.

The Q-meter is fine instrument, but not many folks still have
one or know how to use one. As the Power Point shows, my
voltage divider technique is able to get pretty good data for
some pretty high Z parts with instrumentation of modest cost.

73,

Jim K9YC