[TenTec] AGC Threshold, RF Gain, Volume

brent.zook at verizon.net brent.zook at verizon.net
Mon May 12 11:24:26 EDT 2008

Interesting subject.  I switched back to 1.372 for the original Orion, which seems more stable than 1.737b(5).  Since tentec found and replaced a bad relay I have had NO hangups, no firmware bugs bothering me, and no resets.  It has been almost 2 months.

For roundtables on 75 meters, for example, just operate like any dim bulb -- turn up the "rf gain" knob until you hear noise on the band, and then let the AGC take care of it.  You don't need to ride the RF gain.  Turn off the preamp and use the attenuator if necessary.  You might want to use the NR if the noise is extreme.

For cw dx on a fairly quiet 20-meter band, turn on the preamp, take the rf gain down on each signal you work to find the "sweet spot" where the noise is minimized but the signal still creeps thru.  Narrow the bandwidth as well to lessen the noise.  Using the NR in this situation is not preferable to a combo of bandwidth / rf gain usage.

That is, if you are using version 1 of the code.  I have no idea of proper operation of the Orion with ver.2 software.  --brent N9HZ