[TenTec] Orion vs K3

Ron Spencer ron.e.spencer at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:14:35 EDT 2008

Interesting read. I did own an Orion (original not 2). Sold it to buy a K3.
My reasons were strictly based on the qualities of the K3's second receiver
and the radios ability to survive (better) in a strong signal environment.
Of course its been delayed but I'm fine with that especially since the delay
was to re-design the 2nd receiver for better specs.

I found the Orion to be a fine radio. Held up VERY well in the strong signal
environment of the CW 160 contests. Never any birdies or artifacts, just
signals. Can't beat that.

I found the firmware updates to be useful if not particularly timely. Months
and months would pass but at least we got updates. And I found for the most
part they made the radio better.

Did I feel a bit left out when they introduced the Orion 2? Yes and no. I'd
rather save the $1k and use the black and white display. Performance didn't
seem to be that much different.

Overall I think TenTec is getting a bit of a bad rap. Compare them to the
other guys. When did THEY update your radio? When did they take action on
input (how many 10s of years did it take Yaesu to admit and then fix the key
click problem??)? Yes I find Elecraft responds more quickly to inputs. And I
find the K3, so far, to be a fine radio. Each radio (and company) has its
own merits. I think both are leading the pack well ahead of Icom, Kenwood
and Yaesu.

I agree with another persons observations that used Orions (1 or 2) are
usually pretty good bargains when they come up for sale. LOTS of performance
for a reasonable amount of $$.

73
Ron   N4XD