[TenTec] 95% Shield

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Thu May 15 07:55:29 EDT 2008

That's a pretty tough question to answer as variations in transmitter and
amp performance, antenna setup, and characteristics of the neighbor's TV are
all probably more significant that the shielding of coax. Based on my one
experience with TVI when living in a residential neighborhood (came in on
some TV's, not mine, and the neighbor's telephone) a world of good can be
done for little cost by using a low pass filter at your station, installing
high pass filters on the neighbor's coax, and adding some bypass caps across
the phone line at offending phones. I was running about 400w at the time.
Worth spending the money and effort yourself to maintain goodwill and, in my
case, complaints stopped completely. In fact, neighbors were impressed that
I took an interest and actually did something as the cable company had told
them nothing could be done.

=Vic=
WA4THR