[TenTec] 95% Shield

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Thu May 15 15:36:51 EDT 2008

If the one mW is a harmonic or spurious signal radiated from your
transmission line or antenna on the same frequency as the TV station your
neighbor is watching, yes, it would cause TVI, however a good low-pass
filter at the output of your transceiver or amp will mitigate that problem.
I'm assuming here that the neighbor is using an outdoor antenna, not cable.

The other problem is that your fundamental signal is causing overload on the
TV set, which is not your fault.  The fix for that, as Jim Brown, K9YC
suggested, is to attenuate common-mode signals reaching the TV.  I have had
great success killing some of the worst common-mode TVI/RFI wrapping a few
turns of the cable and power line to the TV each around a ferrite torroid or
rod to form a choke.

Another way to reduce common-mode signals in your neighbor's TV is to use an
ICE model 472B TVI Filter: http://www.iceradioproducts.com/filtersrf.html#5
.  I have used these with great success, although they cost $58 each.  Note
that if the neighbor is using an external AV receiver, you may very well
need common-mode chokes on each of the speaker leads.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com