[TenTec] False Alarm

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Sat May 17 13:14:54 EDT 2008

Change hotels?

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of Wayne Whitman
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 10:24 PM
To: TenTec List
Subject: [TenTec] False Alarm

Picked up my new Omni VII at the factory today.  What fun.

Get back to the hotel and set everything up.  Hang a HamStick for 40m
out the window and turn on the autotuner.
1.1:1 SWR, not bad.  Tune the band, a few cw signals.  Have to give it a
try.

Now the sad part.  Every time I transmit a few cw characters, the hotel
fire alarm goes off - in the whole building!
Very nasty.  I have lots of egg on my face now.  The first time I
thought maybe it was a fluke.  But the second time, well I was sure.
So now I have this great portable rig and an antenna that tunes, but I
can't transmit.  Bummer!  Time for an 807 (guess that expression makes
me an old timer!).

Maybe it's time to look for an apartment on a high floor.

Any other suggestions?
73,
Wayne
K4ELO