[TenTec] New Jupiter firmware

John Henry jhenry at tentec.com
Wed May 28 15:40:21 EDT 2008

Hello Winston.

We are in the final phases of internally testing an update to the Jupiter
firmware, and the new CW Personality for the Jupiter. I can't give an exact
release date yet, but it is soon. We had hoped to ship it by June 1st. We
may miss the 1st, but should be very soon thereafter. Working out some last
minute issues.

The two new radio update files (538 personality or CW personality) will be
able to be programmed into either the existing Jupiters with the existing
memory chip or in Jupiters that have the larger memory chip. Meaning you
will get the exact same capabilities in the existing Jupiters that you would
if you purchased the larger memory chip. Only difference is how easy it will
be to go between the two personalities. With the larger chip, you can
program in up to 6 of the new personalities. And with the existing chip you
can only program in one personality at a time.

The CW personality has the CW decoder display and the PC Keyboard interface
for transmitting CW. (uses a standard PS/2 Keyboard connected into the back
of the rig. Some USB keyboards with a USB to PS/2 convertor will work, some
won't, depends upon if they are looking for operating system support or
not.) Its DSP is more streamlined for better CW handling, removes FM and AM,
but still includes SSB for those who split SSB/CW. SSB specs are the same as
the core 538 personality, no capabilities lost.

The new 538 personality will be version 1.30, and so will the CW personality
of 1.30.
>From then on the versions will track the given personality as it changes.
Meaning they won't be in synch from then on. e.g. you could have a 1.35 CW
personality or a 1.32 base 538 personality.

The new 538 personality and the CW personality will both allow narrower DSP
filters down to 150hz. Hence the need to generate a 1.30 538 personality.

The CAT interfaces remain the same in either personality, so someone using a
given program to control or log will not have to make any changes.
Only issues in this area are when you use a program to select FM in the CW
personality, the rig won't switch to FM but default back to CW. Since it
doesn't support CW. Works properly though with the core 538 personality.

Thanks,
73, de KI4JPL
John Henry

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:21 PM, <jones_winston at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know if and when Ten-Tec is planning an upgrade of the Jupiter
> firmware?
>
> Will the firmware upgrade give our old Jupiters the same features as the
> new ones, such as code copy on the screen?
>
> 73, Winston  K4CWQ

John Henry, KI4JPL
Engineering
TenTec, Inc.