[TenTec] OMNI V

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed Oct 15 09:35:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 07:13 -0400, Tony Dangelo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to hook up a straight key to my OMNI V however a friend
> told me that he thought there was an issue with the 'key' in jack?  Can
> someone shed some light on if this is an issue?
>
> Thanks
>
> 73,
>
> Tony

In some rigs, the same jack is used for the paddle of an internal keyer
and for the straight key. A menu item or switch selects which is used.
Sometimes the keyer won't ignore the ring contact grounded by the long
sleeve of the mono plug. So it can be prudent to wire the straight key
to a stereo plug using only the tip and sleeve leaving the ring open. I
don't know that detail for the Omni V. I suspect its more like the
Corsair II where there are separate jacks for the key and the keyer
paddle, not like my FT-857D where the same jack serves for both, but at
least its not acted up with a mono plug in the key jack and with the
keyer shut off at the menu. The back of an Omni V is large enough to
have room for separate jacks. the back of the FT-857D isn't.

73, Jerry, K0CQ