[TenTec] Centaur tuning problems

Ronald Feutz ronkk9k at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 16:25:38 EDT 2008

I have a late SN Centaur that I have used little in several years.  Last year I was checking it out and had difficulty getting it to tune properly.  I cooked a tube, and replaced the tubes with new 572's.  I hadn't tried it in a while and didn't remember if the tubes made the difference or not, so yesterday I checked it out and found that it still isn't right.
It only tunes properly on 40.  There it will make 700 watts with sharp tuning.  On the other bands it ranges from mediocre, such as 500 watts on 80 with a very "mushy" peak down to untunable on 15, where it won't put out more than a few watts.

The only change I have made is to install the 10/12M board.  I took that out and put back the 15-160 input board for the tests, to eliminate that as a variable.

Any suggestions as to where to look will be appreciated.  I am an appliance operator but can generally figure stuff out if I can get some good advice on where to start and what to look for.

Thanks and 73,

Ron KK9K