[TenTec] info

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Oct 24 19:03:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 18:52 -0400, John wrote:
> Hello All , here is another dumb question ........on the OII there is a ucw and a lcw do I use lcw on 40mtrs and  lower like LSB ? or do I always use ucw and use lcw to help rx the signal .  I am getting back into cw and have never used this before .  thanks John kb2huk

It makes practically no difference on HF unless you work a mixed mode
contact. Mixed mode contacts are halfway common on VHF, but uncommon on
HF.

Otherwise it depends on which way you prefer signals to cross the
passband as you tune the knob in your preferred direction for searching
the CW band for contacts, probably more so during contests.

It has been standard practice in ICOM and some TenTec (OMNI V and VI) to
automatically run LSB for CW on all bands. That makes an impossible
situation when using a transverter for VHF and up where all SSB is USB
and mixed mode or rapidly switched mode contacts are fairly common.

Personally, VHF contacts aside, I prefer the radio to tune up in
frequency when I turn the dial clockwise and signals to enter the IF
pass band from the top side, e.g. to be listening on USB for CW. Many
will disagree having been mistrained by their radios in what is correct.

73, Jerry, K0CQ