[TenTec] OT: two tone generator

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Thu Sep 4 10:15:05 EDT 2008

Isn't an idling PSK 31 signal a two tone signal?   Seems to me it is.  Yes, the
frequencies are pretty close together but I think it is two tones.  Modulate
your transceiver into a dummy load and receive the signal on a well
attenuated receiver and look a the signal.  I use Digipan 1.8.  Used to be
free.  Not sure now but in any event, you can get an IMD reading on the
PSK program.  Probably not well correlated with industry standard but it will
give an idea of the transmitter chain linearity.

In some tests I did a few years ago with a Pegasus as the transmitter and
an Argosy as receiver, I got better than -30db IMD without alc action and
just under -30 with alc action.  The test procedure and results are in the
archives.  As a side note, I often use the waterfall for spectrum display
feature of MMVARI for checking bandwidth, frequency response, agc action
and various other measurements.  Pretty handy software to have around.

Just a thought.

73,

-Lee-