[TenTec] hercules444 ?

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 11 01:18:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:54:23 -0400, wa3fiy at radioadv.com wrote:

>The Hercules 444 was high voltage.....something in the area of 50V DC or
>so.   The Hercules II referenced in the eHam link below is a 12V DC amp
>which requires 12 volts at 80 amps or so.   Big difference!

YES. These are VERY different amps. I own one of both (and the 444 is for
sale). They are both very good amps but the 444 uses Motorola output
transistors that have unobtainium for at least 25 years (which is why Ten
Tec discontinued the 444 and introduced the Hercules II. The 444 MUST be
used with its own power supply, and it's a big heavy honker. If the output
devices croak, it's a MAJOR science project, because there are no
replacements.

BTW -- my 444, complete with power supply, is in great shape and works fine.
I have three Titans, and a Herc II, so I don't need it. Make an offer. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC