[TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII

Dudley Hurry jhurry at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 18 20:46:25 EDT 2008

Jim,

Could be, but not in all occasions..   Example, the Jupiter's audio
output is isolated ground,  audio ground is not chassis ground,
therefore you can not bond the audio ground to chassis ground,
isolation or matching transformers is the only way to make a good audio
connection.    This becomes a problem if you mix a Jupiter in with
another brand radio using a common ground switch.     Not sure what
laptop you are using, but some are running above ground,  there might
not even be a ground on the power supply,  and some don't take kindly
being grounded in the wrong place due to the switching powersupply.
Try this,  take a voltmeter and check the laptop metal ground to your
station ground,  you might be surprised at what you find..

I use a Furman Isolation panel to help here in my shack..

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ