[TenTec] Whait am I missing here?

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Sep 26 17:38:04 EDT 2008

Ken:

Far from what some folks may have said, the Orion II bandscope is far from
"useless", and it will apparently be improving in the next month or so when
the next major firmware update is released.  Check out the announcement at
this link:

http://radio.tentec.com/status

The bandscope is indeed real-time, although when you tune quickly, it will
stop and wait until you stop tuning, then it immediately catches up.  If you
want something really 'top of the line' check out Rick VE7TK's article on
using the LP PAN with the Orion and Orion II at:

http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/9MHz_IF.pdf

Look at Appendix A for details on the mod for Orion II's.  This allows the
use of the open-source software used on the Flex radios for your bandscope
as Rick shows here:

http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/LP_PAN.pdf

This gives you a virtual spectrum analyzer quality display on your PC, but
even without any of that, the Orion II bandscope is great right out of the
box.

         Ron N6IE
      www.N6IE.com