[TenTec] Orion Backup Battery

Rick W ve7tk at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 3 18:52:51 PDT 2009

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Sinisa.  I sent a note to T-T and they have it in stock.

The SNAPHAT battery pack is available from Ten-Tec ($10 + $6 shipping) and Digi-Key ($8.19 + $8 shipping).  I'm just not sure which version is used in the Orion the 48 mAh or 120 mAh (T-T didn't specify).  It looks like both will plug into the same socket the only difference is height with the 120 slightly thicker.

I'm about to place an order with Digi so I'll probably go that route.

73,

Rick

VE7TK

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk

Re: [TenTec] Orion Backup Battery

shristov <shristov at ptt.rs>

Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:00:46 +0200

Rick W <ve7tk at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Okay - I give up!  Can someone please point me to the Orion
> schematic which shows where the backup battery enters the
> circuitry?  I've gone through the schematics until my eyes hurt
> and I guess I keep missing it!

Board A7, schematic file 81917_13.PDF, chip U501 (M48T35AV).

With DIP version of the chip, the battery is an integral part of the chip.

With SOIC version of the chip, the battery can be separated and replaced
(SNAPHAT).

For details see the STMicroelectronics datasheet.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA