[TenTec] Argonaut 509 Bias Mod

waltk8cv4612amos at att.net waltk8cv4612amos at att.net
Tue Aug 4 06:44:23 PDT 2009

Well, yes and no, you can find an old AT&T telephone handset and unscrew the
receiver and in there you will find a round thing that is the receiver and
it drops into your hand. Look at the back of it and you will see a black
thing soldered across the lugs. It is a 100A diode! It was to protect the
ears of users from popping noises on the telephone line. Cut it out / off
carefully and solder it across the headphone jack of the 509  and it will
suppress the loud pops of audio AGC ! There are many circuits in old
handbooks about back to back diodes to ground or across the audio lines and
that is about the best you can do with audio AGC !

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.